Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Mom and pants

Because pant legs are always too long for me, I have to shorten them. I come from a long line of people who have to cut off and hem pants to various lengths. That being said, my grandmother, a master tailor, taught me how to shorten men's pants. Thankfully my dh is a standard length which by the way is the inseam-from the crotch down. I,myself, have been known to wear carpris as long pants. Which brings me inadvertently to my story. Mom always had to shorten dad's pants and I, being the loving daughter that I am, periodically have been known to consult her on shortening in general. My mom hates a pattern. She can go to the GW, buy a designer classic, cut it down to fit perfectly, but she cannot or will not buy yard goods and a pattern. She was my model for recycling. My mom has had a pair of my corduroys for school for almost a month. I have tried them on and she has pinned them up and hemmed one leg, now I have to try them on again to make sure. Of what, I don't know. I hemmed a pair of pants tonight by matching length to another pair, whacking them off, and sewing a turned hem by machine. No pins. No trying on. I fully admit that you can see the stitches and that they are not 20 to the inch. I really do love my mom. Her patience is immeasurable. After all, she's hemming my pants.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oooh someone else who buys capris as regular length pants! ;-)