Monday, January 21, 2008

Random childhood memories

I learned so much from so many people over the years. But one thing more than any other pops up at random almost every day. When I was little (all right shorter) I spent a lot of time at my grandmother's house. My dad's mom lived 2 blocks or so away from us. It was here that I learned FIBER.She was a master at anything she tried, especially if told that it was impossible. She worked as a tailor and alteration lady at an upscale men's store for many years. Before that she ran the local SINGER store. I learned knitting ,crocheting, and sewing and to love and respect those who could. My dad's only sister taught me to embroider in Mam-Maw's house. Now to the memory!
I would ask frequently why you had to do something a certain way and instead of answering me directly, my grandmother would reply something like "I don't know. Try it and see." So I would and sometimes it would work, but more frequently than not it would have to be done the way I was taught. Do you know that to attach a sequin to something a seed bead is desirable?

No comments: