Tuesday, January 29, 2008

V-A-C-A-T-I-O-N in the summer sun

We always went to see family when I was younger at home. As awful as that sounds, my family is way cool. My dad's sister lived in Tulsa and my mom's sister lived in Aiken. So in alternate summers we went south-east/west. Tulsa was always fun because of the shopping and my aunt,the one who taught me to embroider. Aiken was different. There were places to see, like the ocean, and Aunt Bea's picnic's. She was a great cook and hostess. Aunt Bea was an ardent sewer and knitter. She had 2 daughters slightly older than I (2 and 5 Years) and she had a scrap box that was to die for. One summer the "old folks" spoke of wills and dying and I said that I didn't care who got what as long as she left me that scrap box. Mouthy little kid, wasn't I? Anyway I came home with that box. They lived another 35 years or so. I don't think there was ever another scrap box though. At least they didn't show me. Wonder why? To this day I love scraps.Partial balls of color. Things never come out even, but oh I still love it.

No comments: